Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wacky Wednesday: A few humourious misconceptions of the USA and a bitof insight

We don't know what we don't know right? I for one had a few misconceptions of Namibia prior to arriving. For example: Discovery channel loves to emphasize on the Namib Desert. I watched several documentaries about it, so part of me expected to see sand dunes every where I turned and an occasional cheetah on my walks to school. Well, after all of PST and almost one month into actual service I have yet to see a sand dune or a cheetah. I also believed my tattoos would get me kicked out of the country and wearing shorts shorter than knee length would make me out to be trashy. Both of which were false. My tattoos have lead to some great conversations (and a couple friendships), and although I don't intend on wearing any "mini-minis" as Benna would like to call them, I don't feel the need to be so conservative.

On the opposite end, I have had to just giggle at some of the funny misconceptions Namibian locals have of America and thought I would share.

1) The joys of reality TV:  "Is it true that all American women look like Kim Kardashian?"
            As much as I wish I could have curves like that.... its not going to happen. I mean I guess plastic surgery is an option but I hate doctors so.....
        Funnier part is when another volunteer and I asked if we look like Kim Kardashian to him he responded with "..No, you look more like Martha Stewart...... you know the girl from the Twilight movies who's always sad about loving vampires." I thought it was funny! Especially considering I was totally team Edward.

2) Americans are rich:  "All Americans are rich like Tyga and Wiz Kalifa. We also all run around throwing money in the air like Lil Wayne because we have more money than what fits in the bank."
         I wish this was true as well. However it has lead to some interesting conversations about what student loans are and how independent some people can be. As annoyed as I've gotten over a thing or two, this has also lead to some of the more enlightening cultural exchanges I've had, even for myself. There is dish cable and watching music videos is popular so its easy to understand how this idea came to be.

3) The Lumanati!
        I'm learning a lot more about this concept here than I knew in the states. The more I hear about it, the more I think its silly. But, who knows....... I suppose Beyonce and Nikki Manaj would have the answers from what I hear.



I think one of my favorite aspects about living abroad is encountering assumptions about American life, and also learning about how my own mind is shaped.

For example: The concept of sharing. There is a saying here that "In Africa, we share." Up until this point I thought I was great at sharing. Back home I had a habit of just giving someone something of mine just because they said they liked it half the time. I'm pretty quick to just give this or that. I do have a habit of taking friends' hoodies, hats, or loose shirts (blame my gypsy soul) though, just ask my friends. If I had company I either tried to cater to them, or they knew me well enough to just walk straight to my fridge grab a snack and start mixing up margaritas. However, here I'm starting to realize I'm a bit more selfish than I originally thought. Sharing here goes right down to sharing any little bit you have. People are not shy to offer you their only apple. When one piece of bread is left rather than the family bicker, they happily split the slice amongst 5 other family members and each take a sip out of the same Fanta can, all while chit chatting about the day. In all honesty, its mesmerizing how willing and far sharing goes here. Even more so with out questions asked. It's like second nature how people have come about sharing. I think in some ways my tight budget living on the allowance of a volunteer has made me a bit more reluctant. The other day I was upset when my tea time snacks were eaten with in 48 hours of me buying them and not making it to a single day of tea time. So when tea time approached I was sour for a moment about not having a snack. Then, one of the workers dropped off a glass of juice on my desk and said "Here you go Tena". Almost every day at tea time she has done this with nothing but a smile. Not once asking for anything in return. That put things into perspective quickly for me. Here I am, in this beautiful country. Namibia is seriously breath taking! I'm Surrounded by people who didn't even know I existed 6 months ago and they have completely opened their homes, community, schools and themselves to me. This includes feeding me some amazing meals and even adapting to my 274824 food allergies/sensitivities. I ran into my host mom from Bunya in town this weekend and she came up to me with the biggest smile on her face saying "Its my daughter Jamie, I'm so happy to see you! are you coming for holiday?". My new host sister introduces me to people when we go out with excitement telling others "This is my sister Tena." In the short time I've spent with each of their families they have completely taken me in as one of their own. Where I once lived VERY guarded, they've shown me love, and I too have grown to really care for them. Yes, being a volunteer means I'm well, a volunteer so the budget I have at my dispense is extremely limited. However, here I am, with the amazing opportunity to see how to simply open myself to giving. Whether that's snacks, or a smile, there is so much that I can learn from the locals perspective of sharing. This is indeed a beautiful lesson to be learned.



* Please read the disclaimer located to the right

No comments:

Post a Comment