Sunday, November 15, 2015

A bright and dark side to serving in the Peace Corps


Last week I was bit by a home sickness bug with the upcoming holiday season approaching quickly. I realized recently that my favorite holiday is not a holiday at all in Namibian Culture. Thanksgiving has always been special to me. As you may of read in one of my previous blogs, I'm infected with wanderlust and constantly getting drunk off of traveling from here to there. However, even through all my travels, and ups or downs in my life, I have never missed a Thanksgiving with my family. This time last year I already had my Peace Corps application submitted for 6 months, but hadn't yet known I would be spending this time in Namibia. I did have a gut feeling though that I wouldn't be home for these holidays so I tried to make the Thanksgiving a bit special and really take it in. My family celebrated the normal style all gathering at my grandma's house to celebrate, eat food galore, and draw names for christmas presents. I also very much look forward to Christmas. My mom has this passion for making Christmas Eve special. There's something about Christmas that just makes her glow, and I love that. Last week also marked an anniversary of a major turning point in my life. I was wrapped in  nostalgia. 

On Friday evening my older host brother Emmanuel, my host sister Fannie (the one I share a building with on the homestead), a visiting host cousin, my little host brother Bonze, and I were sitting outside and chatting over this and that. We got on the topic of how I miss my family, friends, gym family, and pets. We talked about some of the differences between pets in the USA and pets here. Pets do not enter the houses here! I told them about how I miss cuddling up with my pets and how much they simply, love you. I showed off pictures of my mini zoo (which they laughed at) and eventually the conversation changed and the night came to an end. 

Come Sunday afternoon I was at home watching a movie and relaxing when my younger host brother Bonze pokes his head in and says "Jamie I have a present for you."  "A present?" I asked. "Yes, you have to come outside." So I did as I told. Bonze is also a grade 5 learner (5th grade student) at my school, very enthusiastic, and many have labeled him my new "BFF" or "Body guard". When he instructed me to go outside for a present I was a bit confused over what it could be. I assumed, maybe something to do with working out since I have recently got children in my village into exercising.  Either way, I did as he said and got up to come outside. When I met him at the door he looks at me with a big smile and says "This surprise you will love the most" points to a cardboard box across our sandy yard and says "Go look in that box.", so i did.  I get to the box, open it up and guess what's inside. 











A PUPPY. 



An adorable little ball of fur, some what resembling  a German Shepard with a beautiful brown coat and black markings. I know its far from that though being that every dog here is a mutt. I was thrilled instantly picked her up hugged her and told Bonze "You're right Bonze I do love it!" He was happy that I was so happy to get her.  He told me she will be a hero dog and help blind people cross the road. He such a sweet little guy. Not once have I seen a Service Dog in Namibia or even heard mention of it so where he learned of this is beyond me but made me very happy. I told him we can try to train her to do so but I don't know how to train dogs for that, but we can also train her to be good with people to bring to school as a therapy dog and help other learners feel happy. He suggested the name "Maleficent", I think because we recently watched that movie and he loves it. However, I decided I wanted to name her something in Rukwangali. After spending some time with her I decided to name her Hafa, which means happy. I simply adore her.  I'm even more so honored that my brother did this for me, just because. 


And so brings a bright and dark side to being a part of Peace Corps. Homesickness happens, thats a reality of the situation. A new sense of "home" takes construction and new relationships are formed. Its easy to get a bit over whelmed in getting this project done, or that. Trying to get integrated into the community, but also balance alone time (which seems to be a strange concept to Namibians). Getting a feel of what our new communities are like. Understanding only pieces of staffroom conversations and wanting to be involved. Playing games after school and being lit with the sound of learners laughter. There are pros and cons to joining Peace Corps, the slogan that it is "The hardest job you'll ever love" couldn't be more fitting. I'm quickly learning though, how special relationships can be. In just the few shorts months that I've experienced in this journey I am learning much more in valuing others, and appreciating when I'm valued by others. 


3 comments:

  1. How gorgeous and wonderful!! That is the sweetest thing I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading these Jamie! Makes my heart happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute puppy!
    I'm sure your family will miss you just as much for the holidays. Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete