Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Legends from the Kavango: Things to be aware of when crossing the river in a canoe


For many residents of the Kavango regions (East and West) life is lived along the Okavango River. The miles upon miles of river bring plenty of (the most delicious) fish you could hope to catch, memes doing their laundry, kids spashing and flipping into the river, people around every curve enjoying a nice, and several watos (canoes in English) coasting through the waters.
The watos are not only useful for travel, fishing, and having fun; their beautiful hand carvings decorate the river quite nicely. However, according the legend, there can be danger riding in a wato depending on what you were up to the night before.

Also enjoying the gifts of the river are many hippos. What you may not know about the hippos are they have extra senses that can recognize if you were sleeping with someone other than your spouce the night befor. If you've been behaving the hippos will let you ride along the river in the canoe in peace. Unfortunately, if you have been a bit scandalous the hippos will provide you with your karma. Somehow the hippos are aware of what your life is like between the sheets and if you're unfaithful, and try crossing the river in a canoe a hippo will come out of no where and attack you!! If you are willing to admit the adultery to the people your with though, you can break off a piece of bamboo to place in the front of the wato. That piece of bamboo will then keep you safe from the vengeful hippos as you travel in the waters.

So next time you plan on getting in a wato to enjoy a ride, make sure you're practicing honesty... or it just may be the last thing you do before the hippos make you pay!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm safe but if I weren't I'd stay of the wato (?) I'm sure if I was there and I had doubts about my husband I would take him on the river to keep his behind in check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I'm safe but if I weren't I'd stay of the wato (?) I'm sure if I was there and I had doubts about my husband I would take him on the river to keep his behind in check.

    ReplyDelete