Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Just taking a moment to brag about Girl's Club

Being a Peace Corps Volunteer requests not only that we work on our primary project (mine being education/teaching) but also taking on secondary projects. Secondary projects vary from volunteer to volunteer. Some volunteers choose to plant a community garden, some like to run workshops for health, teen pregnancy, fitness, languages, etc. Some join Peace Corps clubs such as Girls Leading Our World (GLOW) or YEAH! (Youth Exlopring and Achieving in Health), and the list can go on and on.
One of my secondary projects is in relation of being a member of YEAH! (a lot more infor about YEAH! To come *wink wink*).  One part of being a YEAH! member is also establishing clubs in your host community/school. I have started a Girl’s Club at my school and am hoping to get a Boy’s Club up and running soon.
            A typical Girl’s Club meeting is held every Wednesday from about 2:30pm till 4:00pm. We start club by “Sharing sweets” meaning we each say something nice about ourself, and something nice about the member sitting to our right. I typically also try to bring some sort of sweet treat to spoil ourselves. After that each club has a theme such as safe sex practices, mental health moral boosters, heathy diet choices, exercise ideas, decision making, and all that fun stuff. We also try to have different conversations about how we can respond to common situations we face in day to day life. E.g. should I have sex or shoud I wait? If I do have sex should I use a condom/make my partner use a condom? What if my partner says no to condom use? Teen pregnancies and HIV/AIDS rates are very high, especially in the Kavango region so it’s a topic in need of discussion.
             A couple weeks ago (in big thanks to my good friend Josie sending art supplies) we made intension bracelets. With each color of bead we setting an intention/promise we were making to ourselves. The bracelets serve as a visual reminder of things we are promising to ourselves. For example, red represents that I’ll use a condom everytime I have sex, yellow means I’m not going to be friends with people who make me feel bad about myself, and so forth. Each color means somethng different to each person. My hopes are that if the learners make these promises to themselves, that hopefully it will be something they keep. The bracelet serving as a reminder. We had a blast making them. And it made me thrilled to see [almost all]  the girls wearing the braceletts everyday since. Not to mention boys asking when I’ll start Boy’s Club because they want some too.

            Sometimes being a Peace Corps Volunteer can be frustrating as can be, but at times like this, it makes every difficult day worth it! These moments, are what happiness means. 





 The day we made the bracelets :)




Two week later we began exams, you can see the first two girls still wearing their bracelets





If you would like to sponsor/make a donation for Girl's Club (via sweets, school supplies or art supplies) feel free to send them to me at:

Jamie Torres
Peace Corps Volunteer 42
PO Box 114
Rundu Namibia 9000

1 comment: