Thursday, October 8, 2015

You done with CBT, ya you know me!

Written on 1-Oct-2015

Community Based Training (CBT) is officially complete and we are finally in the home stretch of all our training so that we can be officially sworn in as the Peace Corp SUPED group 42 of Namibia!!!

First off I'd like to start by saying CBT went by way too fast! I absolutely LOVED the community myself and 7 other trainees were in for CBT, I loved my host family and all the extended family, and full on fell in love with the river and skies. It was simply gorgeous! I truly look forward to being able to come back to visit my host family. 

So what is CBT?
CBT is a 4 week immersion part of our Pre-Service Training (PST) required in order to officially Swear -In as Peace Corps Volunteers. The 4 weeks is envisioned to give us exposure to how education is provided, hands on experience teaching, language immersion (many languages are only spoken is specific areas of Namibia), and have cross cultural exchange/exposure to the region of which you have been assigned to. Myself, along with the 7 other volunteers I had CBT with we assigned to learn the language of Rukwangali and serve our 2 years in the Kavango Region. We were the lucky ones who got to serve in the great village of Bunya about 50k (approx 30mi) west of Rundu. 

Bunya Combined School was nice enough to allow us to perform our training at their school hosting grades 0-12. The school served learners (students) from Bunya and neighboring communities making it a very large school. It was not uncommon to have classroom sizes well into the numbers of plus 40 learners. Both my grade 6 classes had over 50 learners in the class. We did observations for the first week along with co-teaching and then took on our own classes including everything from the lesson planning, to teaching the lesson, to debriefing and analyzing it  after the fact. I got to work with grade 6 and grade 8 learners. Schools in Bunya are definitely different than they are America so it was a great to get our feet wet. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to get feedback from my co-volunteers and support teachers. At first I was nervous about working with older learners because teenagers are so cool, and well, I’m really silly and dorky. However, the games I used with my younger ESL (English as a Second Language) students in the states worked just as well with the older learners. Guess you’re never too old for learning to be fun. Though I have done volunteer work in other countries prior to Peace Corps and worked actively in classrooms in the States I had not been a teacher by profession prior to this. I was an American Sign Language Interpreter and though I did enjoy that profession a lot a piece of me longed to be a Peace Corps Volunteer teaching abroad. It really felt good to get feedback one day telling me I am “one of those people who are just meant to be a teacher and work in classrooms. It comes naturally to you.” That comment really made me feel like I’m on the right track! J

The village of Bunya was extremely welcoming and everyone was rather kind. Each person we crossed wanted to have a conversation. The typical school day started at 6:45am and ended at 1:00pm. We then had debriefing and language training till 3:00pm. After that we typically went down to the river banks to enjoy the amazingness and soak up some sun. Locals and ourselves would have a great time playing and exploring. It was a great opportunity for learning conversational language and bonding with family members, extended family, and each other’s families. There were more times than I can count that I would just stop and think, damn, this is really happening isn’t it? This is real life, my life!!! Sometimes it all seems so surreal.


No comments:

Post a Comment