Sunday, June 26, 2016

Camp YEAH! / Sunday Funday pics rolled into one

In a previous blog Life in a day of camp I briefly touched on one of my Secondary Projects, Camp YEAH! (Youth Exploring and Achieving in Health). As promised I want to give you more insight on what exactly Camp YEAH! is all about.

To give a brief history and background Camp YEAH! began just a few years ago by 3 volunteers aiming to reach out and teach youth specifically here in the Kavango Region. Though the region has recently be divided into Kavango East and Kavango West, we still aim to cover the Kavango as a whole. In past years volunteers from the Zambezi Region (just east of the Kavango) were involved and this year was the first time Wambo Land (or O-Land) had some representation. In Namibia [as a whole] there are very high rates of HIV/AIDS and teen pregnancies, particularly in the Kavango Region.

Camp is held twice a year, once during the first week of the May holiday of school. Schools in Namibia close for about a month from the last week in April, to the end of May. This gives us the opportunity to facilitate a week long camp for learners. Each Peace Corps Volunteer active in YEAH! was able to bring 2-4 learners to the camp. During this week long camp we primarily focus on teachings about HIV/AIDS. We however also learned about pregnancies, other STIs, gender roles, stereotypes, and about what our bodies are doing in general. The learners also get a chance to ask us "secret questions" about our own experiences. We did everything from acting out scenarios to  interactive groups about the specifics on HIV/AIDS and other STIs to learning how to put on and take off a condom properly to how we can reference the Bible to help us with our attitudes toward HIV/AIDS and those effected by it. In Namibia the Christian religion plays a VERY strong role in the culture so its something valued on high by many of the locals. We even had an interactive obstacle coarse to simulate the concept of risky behaviors. Coming up in October will be a three day weekend camp with a focus on teen pregnancy which I must admit I'm very excited for.

One of my favorite parts of Camp YEAH! is the learning doesn't stop once camp comes to an end. All PCV involved in YEAH! are also required to hold health clubs at their schools. At first I only held a Girl's Club, and then the boy learners called me out for "discrimination" against male learners because they wanted to have a club too. This made me laugh, but also happy that they are actually learning their vocabulary words so I now also run a Boy's club with similar material. Initially I thought it would be awkward to have a female teacher running the club of all boys but so far its off to a good start. The 4 learners I brought to camp are my Club Leaders and LOVE to help teach activities we did at camp. It brings a little smile to my heart to see them with their Camp YEAH! shirts on at school telling their friends about this and that from camp. Over a month later its still something they rave about. Sometimes its the simplest things that make you go, ok maybe I'm not going to save the world by being in Peace Corps, but to see the excitement in learners voice as they share this knowledge with their peers, now that means the world to me!




When I use to work with Deaf students in the USA I would have them put their hands on their head like Bix is doing above to get them to stop talking and pay attention. One day at school I did that again with out even realizing it. Its actually the best strategy to get my kiddos here to quiet down in pay attention because they all mimic it back. It made me giggle to see my learners then doing it when they need the floor. 



TALENT SHOW NIGHT!!!!!! 




















We made some awesome Tie-Dye shirts! 



One thing we learned about were gender roles and gender is viewed in the culture. Gender roles in Namibia are MUCH different from those in the U.S.A. The learners then had to act out short drama as the gender opposite of their own. Some of the boys wanted to dress like Memes, the girls rushed to wear bucket hats. It was an interesting experience to see how the learners viewed the opposite gender and lead to some great conversation as to "well why did you...." "why do we think.... about gender x".


Eddie and I both Representing Sweet Home Chicago 

No comments:

Post a Comment