Friday, May 20, 2016

Airports have feelings too

As you may have seen in a previous blog, the month of May is when schools go on holiday (vacation) and I had a friend visiting from the states. That’s the reason for my radio silence, I’m sorry. I even forgot about the Sunday Funday Pictures! Well now I’m back and I pinkie promise I will have an awesome Sunday Funday this upcoming week to make up for it, but for now a story on how Peace Corps has once again manged to shift me perception of things. 

I would call myself well traveled. I’ve been to and through many airports; I have been picked up and picked up others, but (as many things do through Peace Corps service) how I now look at airports has changed.

Upon arriving to the airport I saw a couple of my fellow volunteers also picking up friends and family. All of us with smiles, and I believe we were all even showered! The airport in Windhoek isn’t very big and a group of shuttle drivers had already begun standing next to the rails near the arrivals exit. I had been anticipating my friend’s arrival for weeks and with less than an hour till she walked through those gates, I was getting anxious. The other volunteers and I chatted about our plans and stops we were making with our guest, but the one consistent thing was “needing” the visit.  Like I’ve said before, volunteering can be tough, but sometimes it’s the simplest joys that can move mountains for volunteers. None of us had seen these visitors and almost a year (or more) so some time with familiar faces from home, now that’s something so great I’m not even sure how to express it.

Finally the doors to the gate began opening, and we all pretty much jumped with each person walking out hoping it was our visitor. My friend came out first, but only to ask some questions about a suitcase of donated Days for Girls kits she brought and then had to return back to customs. (**check bottom for side note about bringing donations through the airport)  Then another volunteer’s parents came in.  The smile on her face just as she opened her arms to wrap around her family, is probably one of the biggest smiles I have ever seen someone do.  The other volunteer literally squealed as her friend came through. The airport was a place happier than Disney World as we all parted our separated ways to enjoy our holiday.

Sadly, all holidays must come to an end and I found myself back at an airport but this time to say bye. This encounter much different than before.  We had a great holiday, I even tried convincing my friend to just extend her vacation for, oh you know 18 months, but she has adult-ing to do and cats to feed so that wasn’t exactly a realistic option. And so, as can be expected she got her departing ticket and made her way through security and to her plane. I made it only a handful steps before I started crying. This time I noticed a couple other teary eyed people. A place so euphoric before was now coated with tears, and not the happy kind.  Coincidentally, an arrival flight had arrived and the smiles of loved one coming in for this reason or that were filling the room.

Prior to this I knew the airport came with happy and sad feelings. I think this is the first time though that I stopped and watched it happen to people trafficking through. The highs extremely high, and the lows very low. Then there’s always the ones just passing through handling business of some sorts. After my friend left I did just sit there and watch the airport unfold. Airports, big and small, are typically so fast paced and always in motion, I never realized how many impacting moments in time happen constantly. Makes me wonder if the airport staff recognizes this too.






*** If you are visiting someone/getting a visitor and a donation is being brought you must have a letter from the person/company proving the donated good stating where the donation is going. On top of that the airport is going to charge you a nice fee, even when you try explaining its a donation for a volunteer teacher to give to the school their volunteering at, just to warn you. I thought her bringing them rather than shipping them would have been cheaper, but shipping probably would have been the better route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment