Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Wild Game

For many people when you think of Africa, one of the first thoughts that comes to mind is the vast amounts of wildlife. Lions on the prowel for fresh gazelle meat. Zebras galloping freely in the Savannas. Watering holes surrounded with elephants, rhinos, and wildebeest. Rafiki the baboon wondering around with his stick giving enlightening words of wisdom and discovery just as he does in The Lion King. With all the land and various types of climates through out the continent, Africa has a little bit of everything to offer when it comes to wildlife.

Growing up in New Mexico I lived life on desert sands surrounded by mountains and the wildlife it has to offer. Spending a good amount of time one the family farm, and having pets of my own developed me into an animal lover. I loved driving round staring out the window or riding in the back of my dad's truck just looking at birds and envying their freedom to fly. Trying to spot a deer or any other animal hiding in the forest always brought joy. I would even try to fall asleep and play with the chickens only to get upset with my mom's disapproval of the idea. Any animal (even the spiders I run away screaming from) intrigues me still to this day.

Though I am not a believer in hunting just for the sake of hanging the kill on your wall, I do believe in survival. This has been a battle I've had with myself for many years. My love for animals lead to me completely appalling the idea of any animal dying. My dad is a hunter. Every year himself along with other family members and friends would apply for hunts, typically for deer and elk. When they came home proud of their successful hunt with their kill nicely wrapped in the back of the truck I would typically be left uneasy when I was little. How can this happen to Bambi?!  Later the animal would be taken to a local butcher to be cut either for cooking or making jerky. I loved jerky! My family would then explain to me where the jerky came from. That hamburgers came from an animal, and guess what, chicken nuggets come from chickens! Eventually I became a vegetarian for quite some time. However, I have been eating meat again for the past couple years. As the Lion King taught me, there is a circle of life. I still love animals, but I also enjoy meats. A big reason I began eating meat again evolved around the fact that I tend to travel a lot, and with that I want to take in the culture of the new area I am living in; a big role typically being played with food. As I would research embarking into these new customs I realized meat was often featured in the dish. I'd also like to note, I do believe a person can take in a new culture with out having to surrender their own morals. However, for myself and the fact that I do have celiac, I didn't want to show up to these new host families and right off the bat give a list a mile long of the foods I can't eat since they have gluten, and the foods I choose not to eat due to them being meat. I must admit, the decision to not be vegetarian did lead me to some taste dishes (both stateside and abroad), and back to my love of jerky.

Here in Namibia, in the Southern West tip of Africa the wildlife is plentiful. With Namibia being one of the sunniest countries in the world it also offers an eclectic selection of climates. The west coast kisses the Atlantic's ocean rough salty touch. The Kavango and Capri region dance along the rivers and river lands. Etosha holds legends of her salt pans miles long and wind, and the famous game park. Where as the south is also known to have rumors of a snow fall from time to time flirting the idea of a white winter, though I don't expect dreams of a white Christmas ever forming thought.

Here, just as in America, along with every other country has its own selection of both farmed, hunted, and protected animals. In doing some internet research, along with talking with colleagues I was able to learn about some of the hunts that take place, both in the past traditionally and now.

A couple popularly hunted animals are Kudu, Eland, and Sprinbok which are often administered into "Bilton", a treat similar to jerky seasoned in a variety of ways.


Kudu, these animals are HUGE

Springbok, very fast!


An Eland, I have not personally seen this animal, yet


Fish is a very popular dish, especially here in the Kavango region where I am located. It is also common to find locals hunting Fuche which is an African dove. Fuche doesn't have much meat on it, but it is pretty tasty.

A fuche

Warthogs are another meaty treat that some hunt here in Namibia.



In the past Elephants were hunted, especially for their tusks and meat (being that they are so large), but that is not the case anymore. Some debate was raised over this in a group conversations with locals. Some said that if an elephant were to kill someone, that the village can then hunt the elephant and feed its meet to its people for "justice", others said only rangers can kill an elephant, and some said elephants are protected animals. The exact answer I am unsure of. 

Another animal that was debated about was crocodile. For the same reason as the elephant. Some said its okay to kill a crocodile if it kills or attacks a human and that when its killed its meat is distributed to the family of the person attacked. 

I heard giraffe can also be hunted, but I'm a bit unsure of this. They are so big I don't know how that could be done. I was also under the impression they are endangered but I'm not positive. 


The main farmed animals are Cow, Goats, and Chicken. Pork is very few and in between on the menu. However it can be regularly found on hotel restaurant menus or in touristy places like in Windhoek. I don't believe any of my host families have ever prepared bacon or pork chops with any meal. Since being in Namibia I've ate more goat then I ever imagined I would eat in a life time. Also, sometimes dog and donkey is whats on the menu. Though that came as culture shock at first and took me back for a moment, it was also a humbling moment to learn of such delectables. In some countries cattle worshiped, and definitely not a meal. However, in places such as America I for one do not think twice before diving into a burger loaded with green chile and bacon. 


Here they also believe in using the whole animal. We eat the meat, intestines, sometimes even the brains. I tend to be "full" when brains of anything is what's being served. I know, I shouldn't be so picky or ungrateful especially considering a meal for special events is a "smiley" which is the head and brain of goat. After the animal is consumed its fur is typically used to make clothing, rugs, or shoes. 


Some of the protected animals are as you could imagine: Rhinos, Porcupine, Pangolins, Cheetahs, Hippos, Zebras, and the King of it all, lions. 








*This topic was suggested in the "Talk to me" section located on the right. I'd love to know what else you'd like to know about, just leave a comment with your request. 



No comments:

Post a Comment